The History of Maltby Village

Although Maltby is a hamlet of about 100 houses, recent excavations show that Maltby is actually a very ancient settlement dating back to the Danish invasion. The settlement was known as MALTI (being the first name for Maltby) from the Danish "Malti's Farm".

In 1086, Maltby was recorded as MALTEBI or MALTEBY in the Domesday Book.

The spellings of Maltby throughout the ages have then been:

It has long been thought that at the eastern end of the village there was a Viking settlement: The high bank would have proved an extremely good look-out point and the beck situated at the bottom of the bank would have been used for fishing, and as a supply of water for drinking and washing (clothes and themselves).

Roman remains have been found at Low Lane and amongst other objects excavated at Maltby have been and a brooch- unique in the whole of England, but with a parallel in Germany; a cruciform brooch, and glass beads, which were very similar to a group of objects excavated from the Anglo-Saxon cemetary at Norton during 1984-1985. The close similarities between the objects allows those found at Maltby to be dated to a similar period, which is the sixth century A.D. As this is before Christianity in Northumbria, the objects are classified as Pagan.

In Grave's History of Cleveland, it states according to the Domesday Book, that Maltby was made up of three carucades ad geldum [areas of land], each area being about 160 acres, and that Maltby was under the authority of the manor of Acklam. Maltby paid dues to Acklam and the village was thriving before the time of William the Conqueror. After the Norman Conquest of 1066, the land was given to Robert de Brus and then decended to Walter de Fauconberge through his marriage with Agnes, the sister of Peter de Brus, lord of Skelton. This marriage did not produce any sons, so the land was divided amongst the Morley's of Normanby and Sir George Wentworth of Wolley, who was married to Averall, the daughter of Christopher Maltby who was the Esquire of Maltby and Alderman of York. Maltby received its final name from the de Maltby family, Christopher being one of them.

By 1810, Baronet Sir James Pennyman held all the principal land, but the Earl of Harewood and John Goldsborough are at present chief proprieters. The other portion of the Pennyman's estate was allocated to Sir George Wentworth of Wolley, a Knight by marriage with Averall, the daughter of Christopher Maltby, the Alderman of York.The religious houses of Guisborough and Byland once owned Maltby Beck, where monks often went fishing.

Maltby has always been a hamlet and has always been in the parish of Stainton. During the Reformation, when King Henry VIII became Head of the Church of England, many Catholic Maltby residents were not willing and refused to adopt the Protestant religion. They were known as recalcitrants. Due to the new Protestant religion, Catholics were not allowed to have a Catholic burial, but the Catholic residents of Maltby carried the dead bodies in the middle of the night to the churchyard in Stainton, and buried their dead ones there according to Catholic ritual.

Maltby has its own coat of arms- a silver shield, bearing a broad red downward diagonal band from the upper left corner. Three golden sheaves of corn are present on this red band.

Maltby in the meantime has not grown significantly, and has been home to nobody of any note, fame or notoriety. In the year 2000, a Time Capsule was buried in the grounds of the Village Hall.